Beliefs and Institutional Values
Teaching and Learning Beliefs
- All students can learn.
- Learning is purposeful and contextual and organized around transferable core concepts (big ideas).
- Different types of thinking (analysis, synthesis, explanation, classification, creative, innovative etc.) mediate and enhance learning.
- Learners demonstrate their understanding when they apply, transfer, and adapt their learning to new situations and problems.
- New learning is built on prior knowledge and enhanced through purposeful feedback.
- Learning is social and interactive; it is non-linear and develops and deepens over time.
- Attitudes and values mediate learning by filtering experiences and perceptions.
- Feedback enhances learning and performance.
- Identifying and accommodating a learner’s preferred learning style, prior knowledge, and interests enhance learning.
- The school’s core values are implemented into the learning process.
- Civic Spirit